The DAISY Pipeline is a generic framework for document and DTB-related document transformations. It provides a comprehensive, open source solution for converting text documents into accessible formats for people with print disabilities. It can be employed in various contexts relating to both content creation and distribution.
Who is this for?
Pipeline 1 can be used by anyone creating digital content for print disabled readers. Note: this does require some technical knowledge and skill.
The DAISY Pipeline is managed and maintained by The DAISY Consortium and is fundamentally a collaborative project for the DAISY community. Most contributions are open source and reside at the DAISY Pipeline Sourceforge project.
Pipeline 1 is a versatile tool that is available in multiple versions:
- DAISY Pipeline 1 GUI: the popular standalone desktop application.
- DAISY Pipeline 1 Command Line Tool: the most basic interface, to use in a command line environment
- DAISY Pipeline Lite: an embeddable minimalist GUI made of a set of dialog windows
- DAISY PipeOnline: a Web-based user interface to run the Pipeline over the wire
- DAISY Pipeline WS: a web service layer on top of the Pipeline utility
Pipeline Guidance will direct you to the various user guides which are available.
Information on development and how you can contribute is available at the Pipeline 1 Development page.
DAISY Pipeline 1 has a number of highlighted features:
- It supports the single source master approach – A pivot document format is used to represent the book material before publishing it to possible output formats. This allows material to be converted into the pivot document format upon input and then converted to an output format. Documents are stored the pivot format and output formats can be generated from it on demand.
- Validation of various formats (including DAISY XML, DAISY 3, DAISY 2.02)
- It supports a wide list of transformations:
- DAISY XML (DTBook) to DAISY 3 and DAISY 2.02 full-text full-audio (TTS Narrator)
- DAISY XML (DTBook) to DAISY 2.02 or DAISY 3 text-only file sets
- DAISY 2.02 to/from DAISY 3 conversion
- MP3 Playlist generator
- Braille-in-DAISY PEF processing
- It supports transformations at the production, publishing and maintenance stages
- The production stage is an automated, non-interactive conversion of input content into DAISY content, possibly used in conjunction with manual editing environments.
- The publishing stage is the conversion of documents into various output formats.
- The maintenance involves manipulation of existing content such as audio encoding, dtbook repair, format migration.
- It minimizes overlap and duplication. The collaborative nature of the project within the DAISY community aims at reducing the duplication of effort and ensuring maximum sharing of best practices amongst the community.
- It enables the creation of common, reusable components
Organizations can reuse the Pipeline functionality in multiple deployment scenarios and are free to contribute components in both for-profit and not-for-profit contexts.