Congratulations to ABC Excellence Awards Winners 2022
Many congratulations to the winners and finalists of the Accessible Books Consortium International Excellence Awards for Accessible Publishing, announced this week at The Guadalajara Book fair. The awards are divided into 2 categories:
The finalists in this category were:
- Accessibility Task Force of the German Publishers and Booksellers Association (Germany)
- DAISY Lanka Foundation (Sri Lanka)
- Dorina Nowill Foundation for the Blind (Brazil)
- Kalimat Foundation (United Arab Emirates)
and we are delighted to announce that DAISY associate member, Dorina Nowill Foundation for the Blind in Brazil, received a special commendation from the judging panel.
Winner: Mr. Ashoka Bandula Weerawardhana, Sri Lanka
For the first time this award was presented to an individual, Mr. Ashoka Bandula Weerawardhana. Mr. Bandula has worked tirelessly to ensure that educational texts are produced in accessible formats in Sri Lanka, developing an efficient production workflow to provide Braille textbooks in Sinhala, Tamil and English using the most recent accessible reproduction techniques. The DAISY Lanka Foundation also engages in:
- promoting inclusive publishing
- developing standards/guidelines for accessible content production and
- facilitating a fair distribution platform in Sri Lanka.
Finalists in this category were:
- Constantine Editores (Mexico)
- Kogan Page (UK)
- University of Michigan Press (USA)
Winner: Kogan Page, UK
Kogan Page was recognized for developing a production workflow that ensures its front list titles are fully accessible for people who are print disabled. The jury also cited Kogan Page’s advocacy of an accessible chain of distribution for people who are print disabled.
Nominees were judged on the criteria of outstanding leadership or achievements in improving the accessibility of ebooks or other digital publications for persons who are print disabled.