Using Microsoft Word and WordToEPUB, you can convert documents to the latest EPUB 3 format. EPUB is a wonderful format for reading publications on laptops, tablets, and smartphones, and it includes features such as rich navigation and great accessibility. The EPUB files created with this tool can be used in a wide variety of reading apps on any platform, with the ability to personalize visual features such as colors, font, text size, and layout. Many reading apps have other useful features such as read aloud, the ability to add comments and bookmarks and support for electronic braille.
Who is this for?
WordToEPUB is for anyone who would like to create and EPUB file using Microsoft Word on Windows.
- a Lecturer or professor with students who want to read their materials in digital form? There are millions of digital textbooks and journal articles in EPUB format. Now you can provide your documents to students in a format designed for reading on the devices your students use (whether computer, tablet or smartphone), with an experience that can be personalized by each individual to meet their diverse needs.
- an Author or report writer creating your own work? Now you can use the same publishing format as adopted by the publishing industry worldwide. You can check how your work will appear as you go, and make an eBook for distributing from your own blog or upload to multiple retail platforms with confidence.
- making accessible books for people with print disabilities? With WordToEPUB your volunteers and staff can use familiar skills to edit materials in Word, and then using the advanced features of WordToEPUB generate valid and accessible digital books that can be read with a wide variety of apps and devices, including audio players and braille displays.
WordToEPUB version 1.0 was released in March 2020 and ongoing development is planned.
The tool has been successfully used by a several production centres and individual users for over a year, with their feedback being incorporated into the tool.
WordToEPUB is free to download and use. Whilst no support is offered we do provide guidance documentation online, and in the application install directory.
WordToEPUB can be used in ‘Simple’ mode, to quickly make an EPUB version of a Word document. The tool is also used by resource centres in their workflows and the ‘Advanced’ mode offers plenty of control over the cover image, language, page/text direction, metadata and more.
- from a button on the Word ribbon, create an EPUB in a couple of clicks
- from Windows explorer, right click on a Word file to convert it to an EPUB
- batch convert multiple Word documents to EPUB
Can you help?
We welcome bug reports and feature suggestions via email to: wordtoepub at daisy dot org
We currently offer WordToEPUB in English, Dutch, French, Spanish and Portuguese. If you would like to help with translating the tool into more languages, then please get in touch.
WordToEPUB by DAISY download (35MB exe)