Obi is a free open source audio book production tool that enables the production of digital talking books which conform to DAISY 3, Accessible EPUB 3 and DAISY 2.02 standards with minimal training. Obi brings the benefits of DAISY technology to a broader range of consumers, empowering individuals and organizations across the globe to create accessible and feature-rich content overcoming diversities like language, cost constraints and accessibility needs.
Who is this for?
Obi is designed for a diverse range of users, from large scale production houses to individual home users. It is one of the preferred tools of the new generation distributed production systems, which are built on a vast network of volunteers who record at their homes and offices using cutting edge technologies.
Obi version 4.3 was released in December 2018, and a new test version Obi 4.5 was released in October, 2019. Visit the Obi downloads page for links to download Obi.
For more detailed information about the changes in each release see the Obi release notes.
The Obi development site is available for people interested in more technical information about this development. For feedback, comments and bug reports please contact us via email: email@example.com.
Obi has many particular features and benefits, a few of which are listed here below. For more detailed information on specifics visit the Obi guidance area.
- Multi-language support—see Translating Obi for details
- Opportunity for easy integration of existing workflows and production management software
- Efficient and flexible workflows, with a recording process that can be configured for both expert and moderately skilled users
- Tolerance to mistakes, so that you can work with confidence and without stress
- Quick and easy execution of in-built post-production operations, like validation and file set renaming
- Possibilities for customization so that special requirements may be encompassed empowering people with special needs
- Low learning curve making it easily comprehensible.
- Highly efficient workflows like Automated book production from pre-recorded audio files which reduce manpower requirements.